Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The mind plays tricks...

Let's talk about running... Never liked it but lately I have had the urge. Signed for a 5k with my sweet friend Lauren, the 5k is on May 5th. Her and I have decided that after we finish we will celebrate true cinco de mayo style with chips and margaritas. That's enough to get anyone to run.. Ya think?  We started "training" about 6 weeks ago...the first 2 weeks felt great, 3-4 week were ok, 5-6 week is HARD!  2 miles is my max...weak?!  I know.  Especially, since I live with a marathon runner.  The 5k is 10 days away!

When I run with Lauren it's fun.  We talk, we gossip and Wah-Lah 3 miles is gone.  When I run by myself ...it's boring! and when I run with Corey it's annoying and boring!  He doesn't talk and when he does he's mean...he says "don't stop" as he runs backwards faster than I ever dreamed to run forward.  He walks as fast as I run.  But you know what?!  I am lappin' everyone on the couch!  That phrase keeps me going! 
Fast forward to this afternoon conversation with Addie.  She is in the exact same boat as me.  Wants to be a runner and trys while having a husband at home that runs marathons.  Ugh!  Both our husbands have told us that once you complete a 5k you will want to do a 10k, and then a half and then a full marathon.  I am pretty confident there is not a bone in my body that has a desire to run a full marathon.  No thank you!  But today Addie and I have challenged ourselves to look in to running a half together in the next year...we shall see.  I'll keep you updated.
Corey says it is mental and maybe so...but the question is how do you train a mental idget? 
I found this new app "red stamp"..its awesome!  This was a note I had to send Corey today to say how I appreciate him encouraging me.  At the end of the day I am glad to have him...while in the process I might kill him! 

2 comments:

  1. I said...get your lazy ass out there and run! C'mon woman, move it!

    Seriously, I'm glad you are taking on the challenge of running. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

    Enjoy it and remember that it is a gift to "get" to run, not that you "have" to run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm torturing myself by running, too. It's by far the most difficult thing I've ever done. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete